Where to Kitesurf and Windsurfing in the UK
Kitesurfers and windsurfers alike can enjoy this long list of stunning waves and winds of the UK coast for these exhilarting sports! The UK with its extensive coastline offers numerous world class spots for these watersports!
Articles - Jo-Ann Halstead - 10/05/120 Comments
Where to go in the UK:
- Dorest. Dorset, located on the Southern coast, boast two fabulous spots for either windsurfing or kitesurfing. Weymouth Harbour, which will be the home to the Olympics, is great due to its sheltered waters. It is a great place for intermediate surfers to perfect their skills as well as for those with the need for speed as the calm waters allow for surfers to pick up speed. Poole Harbour on the other hand offers a great area for all levels. The harbour offers shallow and sheltered waters for beginners while more the more experienced had surf along the coast.
- Co Kerry. Brandon Bay in Co Kerry offers waves big and small which come in from the Atlanic. The weather conditions vary, providing calm conditions for beginners to massive waves for adrenaline seekers looking for waves as big as a house!
- Essex. The Ray, Southend-on-Sea offers conditions that are like night and day. Strong winds are perfect for reaching speeds like 50 knots while on a calm day a lagoon with perfectly flat waters.
- West Sussex. West Sussex offers Shoredom and West Wittering for these watersports. Shordeom boasts large and rambunctious waves idea for more the advanced and it is even where many profesions train. West Wittering offers something for everyone, as depending on the tide, as when in has an water conditions fit for advanced level, or when the tide is out, sheltered waters for intermediate surfers.This is also where two daring kitesurfers made it over Worthing Pier by sailing through the air!
- Scotland. Heading up to Scotland, the Island or Tiree, Hebrdies is a place of relentless wind and waves that never cease as they come off the Atlantic Ocean. It is also home to The Tiree Wave Classic, which brings international windsurfers over for this competiton! An added bonus to this location is that is supposed to be the sunniest place in the UK!
- Cornwall. What watersports list wouldn´t be complete without Cornwall? Gwithian Beach is known for the amazing waves that roll in off the Atlantic as the beach lies on the North West coast.
- Hampshire. This is a great option for those looking for kite surfing or windsurfing in the south-east. The boasts conditions that are almost always suitable for these sports no matter which way the wind is blowing. The month of September boasts the Fat Face Night Surf competition!
- Anglesey. Rhosneigr, Anglesey has hosted British National Wave Championships and some of our best kitesurfers and windsurfers have their roots in this part of the country. It is also an area with pleasant weather and non stop wind!
- The Ray, Southend-on-Sea, Essex. At high tide, Chalkwell in Southend offers normal Thames estuary sailing. But low tide exposes the Ray, a protected lagoon that offers mirror-flat water and, in a howling gale, is where production board world speed record holder Dave White could break his record of 50 knots!
Whether you are a windsurfer or kitesurf (or perhaps one of those who crossed over to the ¨Dark side¨ going from windsurfing to kitesurfing), you will not be short of places to practice the watersport of your choice here in the UK! If you are just starting out, contact one of our training centres for kitesurfing or windsurfing today!
Leave your comment
To ensure the smooth running of the Community:
- no Do not post commercial content
- no Do not post offensive content
- no Do not post illegal content
- no attacks against individuals, companies or users will be tolerated
Windsurfing: Poole Windsurfing School
Windsurfing: Poole Windsurfing School
Other articles that may interest you
Extreme athletes take on a brutal Triathlon in order to raise money for cancer research. They will have to endure over 1,000 miles of biking, kayak portaging and hiking in order to reach their goal of raising £25,000.
News - Jo-Ann Halstead - 13/05/11 0 Comments
The UK is infamous for its rainy weather; at times it seems like we´ll never see the sun. This is great for our lawns but not for those who are gagging to get out and experience some outdoor adventure. Do not let the weather rain on your parade!
News - Jo-Ann Halstead - 18/05/12 0 Comments
As modern technology has develop over the years, skiers can now enjoy better and improved performance thanks to floating ski bindings that allow for more ski flexibility which enhanced curving.
News - Jo-Ann Halstead - 13/01/12 0 Comments
The wait is finally over, the future is finally here, however you want to put it, the first affordable, sustainable, personal flight has come onto the market.
News - Matthew Gatt - 04/05/11 0 Comments